Thursday, August 11, 2011

Amy's Visit - the follow up

As most of  you have gathered by now, Amy came to visit me yesterday to help me set up my blog.  Now, I didn't ask her for her advice like she asked for mine, but being the generous soul she is, she gave it anyway. If you don't know Amy, check her out at: http://maisondecor8.blogspot.com to see her stuff. She didn't like my entry, wasn't thrilled with the large painting, felt the cover on the bench was too plain, thought the hanging wire baskets full of my gloves and scarves were messy looking, and pretty much trashed the whole space. The photo to the left, is cropped to hide all the
problems she pointed out.
This picture shows what she's talking about. But the reality of a home, is there are items that have sentimental value, and this large painting was the first good piece of art that I bought when I was 23. In my new condo there weren't many walls large enough to house this painting (I've only lived here since 2005, so for me that is new). The messy baskets, were ones that Kris and I had in our antique shop that no one else thought were as fabulous as I did, so I took them HOME! They are hanging on hooks that were installed to hold lanterns, and the lanterns felt too big, so I improvised and ended up with my messy solution for winter storage.
This is what the bench had under my wonderfully and skillfully sewn slipcover, it was white and I wanted some color, so I used a leftover drapery panel from the living room to make a simple cover.
This is not the prettiest room in my house, but it holds my STUFF, and anything that holds my stuff has my undying affection.

13 comments:

Alaina said...

No not such a bad entry. I will not critique as I am not a designer, but....I do agree about the basket. Anyway, I enjoy your humor, anyone who will admit they can not spell is my kind of person. I am visiting from Amy's blog and I thought the picture she showed of your living room to be beautiful. I was plesantly surprised when I noticed that I have the same blue pillows, maybe there is hope for me yet. I hope you enjoy blogging.

Mikey Fuller said...

I love those baskets! While not personally a fan of modern impressionism, that painting looks good in that room! I love the way it picks up on the wall color! I hope you'll stop over and critique my home! My kitchen is featured in the current Romantic Homes magazine!!

Now Following!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

Kris said...

Any more stuff in your entry and we wouldn't be able to get our projects into the basement!

lvroftiques said...

Well I think it's nice....And it works for you....but don't hate me...I'm a little with Amy on this one...sorry!....It's tough to compare with the rest of your house....just sayin'...And it makes me feel so much better about those not quite stellar (but functional and sentimental) rooms in my own house...which sadly (in comparrison to you) is most of them *sighs* Vanna

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Stuff needs to be held!!!!!!

That has always been my motto.
;->

Fun post Betsy.

Janet xox
http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

Amy Chalmers said...

Well I have to say that I just thought this entry did not tell the story of what was the rest of the house! When I first walked in, I thought, wow, Betsy is a modern person in her own home, and that is such a contrast from the magazine pis I had been loving for years...but then I rounded the corner and my heart fluttered with excitement! I still think you should make the bench slipcover more detailed and then hang some plates under those baskets!! I was quite happy to see those huge mirrors too. I just posted on Kris' beautiful digs this morning, so come on over.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Haha, I just had to laugh because I've been following along with Amy and that is how I actually came over to your blog, Betsy. I think it makes for a charming entry and I was recently looking at condo's myself {to downsize to} and sometimes you have to make what you've got work for you. I don't think I would even have this much entry room in the condo's I was looking at!

Cindy said...

Hey Betsy,

You and Amy are quite a pair together. I get such a kick hearing about your interactions, i would love to be there and listen and watch you two banter about decorating. The one thing I noticed about the painting, is that it appears to be large and impressionistic, and you would be standing too close to it in this space to really appreciate or "see" it. Paintings like this one might best be viewed from a distance, although it is kinda cool that it is reflected in the mirror.
I loved that I can see your pretty wallpaper on the staircase from this spot too.
I've tried to "follow" you on your followers button, but it won't let me, i don't know if it's my computer, or if blogger is still acting up.

Cindy

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Betsy, I'm really looking forward to this journey we are all starting with you. I've followed along with you and Amy in her great last few posts about your visit. Thanks for letting us tag along.
Debra

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy! I think you have a great entry and we do need our things around us! We're always changing things and I'll be looking forward to what you do here!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Holly said...

Hi Betsy
I found you via Maison Decor and I look forward to following your new blog....you're a funny lady!

Starr said...

I'd like you to be my new BFF, please.

Can't wait to see more of your house.

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Well I like some of your simplicity and sentimentality :-) If Amy or probably any other designer would come to my "newly done" kitchen, they'd most likely wonder when I'm going to decorate it. I just like simple things and simple looks for my own spaces...not much stuff around. Still, don't we all have our own likes/dislikes? I always say "Don't decorate for your friends, relatives or neighbors. They don't live here...you do!" Loving your new blog! Can't wait to be reading/seeing more!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...