Tuesday, September 6, 2011

How to make a pillow out of napkins


I promised to post a how to on my pillow sham, so here it is!

 
I found a wonderful vintage linen tablecloth on ebay that I bought to make into a bed skirt for the master bedroom of my West Palm Beach cottage. (To be shown this coming Sunday) It came with a bonus of 9 matching dinner sized napkins. I played around with making a coverlet for the guest bedroom, but landed on the idea of  making a European pillow sham instead.


Seaming four napkins together for each side created a larger than needed square, so I made a 1.5" inset seam around the perimeter, creating a flat flange detail. Then I appliqued the 5th napkin on a diagonal to the front of the pillow to hide the seams that joined the four front napkins


When choosing your linens, choose ones with nice embroidery detailing like these. I am a sucker for handkerchief linen.



















I finished the back of the sham with a button closure and some pretty mother of pearl buttons.


                                                                                                                                
This is one of those times when it is great to have a button hole attachment on your sewing machine. The edge of the napkins made a really nice binding for the overlapping fabric.
Later this week I'll show how to make the box spring cover, it's all a conspiracy to make you come back for another visit to my blog. (Is it working??)             
Linking to:  nifty thrifty tuesday

6 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

heck yes, you have me hooked! I think the pillow looks fab! Great job on the button holes.

lvroftiques said...

Yeppers it's working! More more! *winks* Vanna

Connie @ Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

I've done pillows so many times but I've never done ones this size and I love yours! Now, I only wish I had a button hole attachment....oh wait! I do! Now I'll have to get my mom to show me how it works on the old 1952 Singer machine she gave me that still works like a charm. (P.S. I too am a sucker for napkins and little vintage hankies with embroidery. I've got a great collection.) Can't wait to see your box spring cover..my guest room needs one! :-)

Sweet Tea said...

Beautiful blog and I love your ideas.
I found you on Pinterest.
I've signed on to FOLLOW
so I'll be baaaack!!

Betsy Speert said...

I didn't know I was on pinterest, where am I posted?

A Few Pennies said...

Lovely ideas; love your blog!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...