Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Figuring Out the Furniture for a Cottage Living Room

Soooooooooo.........
My niece Miriam wanted a sectional in her living room.
I wasn't sure it would work, but I drew up the room and was able to squeeze one in in the corner.

I wanted it to face the TV, so I also drew up a bookcase that would hold it.

To keep the area in front of the TV from feeling like a hallway, I added the little bench I found on Craig's List.
It adds extra seating in the room, and softens the look of the bookcase.
We still need to accessorize the shelves, but that's coming up soon.....
To see how to transform a piano bench to this little upholstered baby, click
Here!!!!!
Here!!!!
and 
Here!!!!

I wanted a white slipcovered sectional.
Miriam and Ross found this one at Jordan's Furniture.
It was just the right size and they think it's really comfy.
Unfortunately it wasn't stocked in white, just this ticking stripe,
 and they wanted it NOW, NOW, NOW.....
Soooooo.....
They bought it in the stripe and ordered a white slipcover for it.
It took four months to get the slipcover.
It had to come in two boxes, as it was for two pieces of the sectional.
One of the boxes, when opened, looked like this.....
We were all excited to put this on!!!!!
And then we opened the second box.....
OY VEY!!!!
When we opened it, it looked like this.....
WELL.....
that ain't white.
No, No, No.....
So, we had to wait another 4 @#$ months for the correct color for the second one.
It better be in a dye lot that matches, or this Aunt is going to have a seizure.

For the chairs next to the fireplace, I found a pair on Craig's List.
I am in the process of making white slipcovers for them.
I've done the bodies, and just have to do the seat covers!!!!!
So, of course I will be sharing that in the near future.

I went to Home Goods, and found a pair of lamps for the end table and the little painted linen press.
I got a second pair of lampshades in a more interesting square shape, as I didn't like the ones that came on the lamps.
I have lots more to share, but it's been a long day and I am toast.
So on that note,
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Betsy you are so good. I love how you make ordinary fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Those chairs are a great craigslist find for slipcovering!

Anonymous said...

I too would love white slipcovers for the sectional. But I might have been tempted to work with the ticking stripe and change the fabric on the chairs. (That's me being a little antsy. :-) ) Can't wait to see the finished room!

Mary B said...

I love seeing the steps you take to put a room together! What fun to see the twists and turns that happen along the way. Then you make it all come together, and it's always so charming. I love your style! And you're funny too :P

Di said...

It is coming together the paint alone made a world of difference. I totally love ticking and having slipcovers would be nice for a change, but why mandatory? Just wondering.....

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Nicely, nicely done. Those are great chairs & they will look great slipcovered. I love the built ins & I may be copying that.
The whole look is beautiful!
Now... what color is that, on the walls??

Mary said...

It looks great! They are lucky to have you!

Mary
From Virginia

Anonymous said...

That black foot stool with the tassels, how about a slip cover for it. I saw one recently that came down over the top and at the corners were inverted pleats lined in a contrasting color. A finishing touch was a small belt of the dominate material across the corner pleat loosely holding it closed but not quite. The belt was maybe one inch wide and maybe 4 or 5 inches in length and it buttoned at its ends. Your dears look really good. Ann

Karin said...

I can't believe you found those chairs on Craigslist? That would never happen here :( I actually kind of like the ticking on the sectional but I know it doesn't go with your overall plan. White slips will be great. I had white slips on a sofa and two wing chairs a few ago and I loved that I could toss them in the washing machine.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...